Monday 7 September 2009

Seperated at birth #1...

One of the things I love the most about listening to music and DJing (even if it's only in my bedroom to myself or to S) is the fact that when you just get into that frame of mind where one song immediately takes you to the next. All ideas of a 'setlist' just go out of the window and you let the music guide what records you play in what order. The links are sometimes tenuous, sometimes cheesy. It could be a song that you feel one beat naturally leads into the next, you could be trying to link the songs by subject or theme or even just based one one word that appears in both.

Sometimes the links work sometimes they don't but for the most important thing is to let the music dictate, try not to think too hard about it and then see what happens. You just have to hope that more often than not the results will be interesting.

Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler




Slits - Shoplifting

1 comment:

  1. HI! I'm in Lisboa. Mary, my other half, took lots of pictures from the Slits in London in the Punk days (Roxy Club, etc). I need you to contact me as I have plenty of singles and LPs on vinyl, which I released on my own indie label Warm Records in London and in Lisbon from 1976/1984. I have Overstocks in brand new condition. Email me/us please: tourportugal at gmail ponto com. Ta! Rui de Castro a.k.a. Rui Castrovsky from The Warm, now the Bio Organic Sherlock (see my blog)! Bye for now. You can see my records on this blog: http://rocknoliceu.blogspot.com/2009/08/warm-007-1979.html but I have Spizzenergy "Where's Captain Kirk"/"Spock's Missing", which I licensed from Rough Trade in 1980/81 with pic sleeve on Warm Records ref.: AWMR 2014. Futuristic! I also have a Disco Mix LP with those Shakatak producers which is very good top class.

    ReplyDelete