Friday 1 January 2010

The Drums...



This music lark is a bit of a double-edged sword sometimes. I listen to so much over the year that sometimes I'll catch a track and think it was pretty amazing but then either not have the time to invest in more research or else it will just get pushed out of my head by the next band that comes along. It could be that I just don't have anything like the attention span I should have, there are people out there who listen to far more than me and who also have the full-time job and other distractions that life throws at you, I shouldn't complain really.

Anyway, the point of this is that I have only, this morning, become fully aware of the brilliantness of Summertime by The Drums (I know, it's January, freezing and pouring down with rain so how apt!).

I had already featured one of the tracks, the sublime Let's Go Surfing, earlier in the year but I can't be bothered going back through my blog to find the context. In my remarkable hangover free state this morning the whole EP has been on repeat and S has been mocking me about how inappropriate the album is but I think something so energetic (and I think joyful and optimistic) is perfect for the first day of the year.

They describe themselves as the bastard child of Sun Records and Factory Records (OK, I paraphrase a little there) but they definitely strike that balance of the bleak 80s pop aesthetic with the energy of the 50s rock and roll. It's a strange mixture but one they pull off very well and they manage to sound comfortingly familiar without being a rip off (although some moments veer quite closely to Smiths-dom).

Here are a few tracks from them:

The Drums - Saddest Summer



The Drums - Let's Go Surfing




The Drums - Don't Be A Jerk, Jonny



The Drums - Submarine

No comments:

Post a Comment