Monday 12 October 2009

Volto...



And so tomorrow I return to my home town, Manchester, for a week or so. It's been 10 months now since I left and I have a lot of people to say hi to, not least my family.

I'll also be spending a little amount of time no doubt wandering round the record shops that I love and maybe even a bookshop of two (in Portugal books are so overpriced).

Anyway, in celebration of my return this post is entirely dedicated to artists from Manchester or its surrounds.

Buzzcocks - Everybody's Happy Nowadays
(My favourite Buzzcocks song of all time)



Magazine - Definitive Gaze
(I will go out on a limb here and say that Magazine are the most underrated Manchester band.)



Joy Division - No Love Lost
(There's a real rawness that I love on this Joy Division song that sometimes gets lost on the albums)



The Durutti Column - No Communication



Ludus - My Cherry Is In Sherry
(A great 'lost' New Wave band from Manchester)



Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls
(OK Pauline Murray isn't a Manc but the Invisible Girls consisted of, at one time or another, Pete Shelley, Martin Hannett and Paul Burgess)



Crispy Ambulance - Not What I Expected



A Certain Ratio - Knife Slits Water
(Totally ahead of their time!)



So this is pretty much late 70s and early 80s, I'll do Part 2 - late 80s and early 90s tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment