Friday 14 August 2009

Magic Arm

Magic Arm is the work of Marc Rigelsford, a Manchester-based multi-instrumentalist who for some reason seemed very familiar to me. I managed to get hold of his latest album, Make Lists Do Something and have barely managed to play anything else for the past 2 days. Only when I came to rip it and put it on my ipod I found I already had the Outdoor Games EP on there. Well it's not the first time that I've been surprised by my own collection and it's unlikely to be the last.

What can I say about Magic Arm that won't seem hacknied or cliché? He has already been described, if inadvertantly, as “laptop-folk troubadour” and in a rare moment of agreement with the NME I am inclined to agree that this is indeed a lazy description. (Although I hopefully show a bit more self awareness by acknowledging their acknowledgement.) That said, support slots with Grizzly Bear and plaudits from Iron & Wine will go somewhere to placing Magic Arm in the current indie-spectrum.

Have a listen to his cover of LCD Soundsystem's Daft Punk Is Playing At My House and if it intrigues you enough I really urge you to get your hands on a copy of the whole album:


No comments:

Post a Comment